“If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish almost anything”.
Many of us were told this when we were young. If you still believe this, I say “thank you”. Our future prosperity depends on you.
Our prosperity depends on the enablement of dreams, big ideas and breakthrough innovation. If we all improved our enablement competencies to make them happen, imagine the possibilities.
Our prosperity today can be partly attributed to the great innovators who did believe and were enablement masters. While Henry Ford, Walt Disney and Steve Jobs may be known for their big ideas (the 1%), it was enablement (the 99%) of those big ideas that made them famous.
What enablement competencies did these great innovators have that made them successful?
- Knowledge – “understand it”
- Enablement People Skills – “secure support & commitment”
- Realities Aptitude – “see it coming”
- Creativity – “new idea acceptance”
- Enduring Grit – “thousands of small choices to make one big thing happen”
1. Knowledge – While most of the self-made billionaire dropouts had excellent formal educations prior to dropping out, entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Walt Disney gained knowledge from their experiences, passionate curiosity, diverse interests and self-education in the enablement of their big ideas.
2. Enablement People Skills – How do you change minds and dislodge people from their daily demands to follow you? Empathy, Authenticity, Reverence, Emotional Intelligence, Engagement, Dialog, Relationship Development, Presence, Leadership, Enterprising, Networking and Execution skills are required to motivate people to act.
3. Realities Aptitude – Opportunity is everywhere as almost every existing business, product, service or concept was conceived without the knowledge we have today. Great innovators like Amazon’s Jeffrey Bezo and Netflix’s Reed Hasting exploited incumbents (like Border’s Books and Blockbuster) that held on to profits rather than investing in breakthrough developments and business transformation.
4. Creativity – is imagining how to make life better or solve a problem while nuancing the impact to many interests. It requires synthesizing the viability across a diverse Knowledge (connecting the dots), leveraging your Enablement Skills (making it happen) and your Realities Aptitude (what’s coming).
5. Enduring Grit – is thousands of little choices to make one big thing happen. It is Persistence, Self-control, Patience, Conscientiousness, Discipline, Hard Work and the Drive to Improve. It is choosing the imagined distant potential over the tangible immediate comfort.
Enablement of dreams, big ideas and breakthrough innovation is not easy. They require stepping out of your comfort zone to meet new people, understand new communities, learn new ideas and discover new paths. They come with the queasy feelings from proceeding with many unknowns, getting sobering feedback and admitting failure while perfecting the recipe for success.
Whether you want to raise a family, establish a new career, open a pizza shop, compete in an ironman competition, run for political office or solve world hunger, these enablement competencies have been proven by our great innovators to be the key to success.
Yes. You can make just about anything happen because enablement competencies can be learned and developed. If we improve on them, we will improve human potential and prosperity.